Day Center Geriatric Aide I
Day Center Geriatric Aide I
*************** $2K SIGNING BONUS OFFERED*************
The Position: Under the supervision of the Day Center Supervisor and oversight of the Geriatric Aide II, the Center Geriatric Aide I provides direct services to CEI participants at the Day Center. The Center Geriatric Aide provides physical assistance, attendant care and psychosocial support to CEI participants and immediately reports any concerns to ensure that participants’ needs are addressed. The Geriatric Aide demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to participate in providing care to frail elders according to assigned responsibilities and PACE Program standards, while ensuring participant satisfaction and retention.
DUTIES AND RESONSIBILITIES:
- Performs specific duties identified in Daily Assignment Sheet and alerts the Day Center Supervisor or designee if there are any changes to the scheduled assignments as soon as possible.
- Assists with all general activities at the center such as greeting participants, escorting ambulatory and mobility impaired participants to and from the van. Observes and reports promptly any changes in ambulation and/or transferring.
- Assists with nutrition service program by setting up for, and serving snacks and meals. Provides feeding support to rehabilitation staff for participants needing assistance.
- Provides toileting assistance to dependent participants including prompting and escorting to bathroom, proper use of lifting devices or transfer techniques, assisting with hygiene, and changing soiled clothing or incontinence supplies.
- Provides showers in the center to participants according to their care plan.
- Washes participants’ laundry in the center according to their care plan.
- Observes and reports any changes in mobility including decreased ability and/or increased pain.
- Assists in keeping Center in a clean and orderly condition, including showers, bathrooms, kitchen, and activities areas.
- Promptly reports to the Day Center Supervisor, Center Director or Clinic RN or designee any unusual occurrence involving the health or care of participants in the Day Center.
- Observes, records, and reports any changes in the participant’s condition or reaction to the activities, nutrition program, and toileting regime to the Day Center Supervisor (or designee).
- Observes, records and reports to the Day Center Supervisor the satisfaction of the participant to the activity program, and the nutrition program for program improvements.
- Assists with the individual and group activities in art, music, crafts, discussions, physical fitness, psychological function and other activities when necessary.
- Responsible to ensure that all participants on “Wander Guard” list have device on. Checks and maintains door alarm batteries and settings routinely.
- Records services rendered in the electronic health record or other designed forms as needed.
- Accompanies participant(s) at medical appointments, providing assistance and monitoring, including toileting and cognitive redirecting, throughout appointments to ensure the safety of the participant at these appointments. Responsibility could include driving personal vehicle to medical appointments as directed to meet the participant at the appointment.
- Acts as a client advocate by upholding, and reporting any abuses of the Participant Bill of Rights & Responsibilities.
- Responds to participant complaints in a timely manner and understand the basic procedures for receiving and documenting grievances in order to initiate the appropriate process for participant concerns.
- Completes required paperwork accurately and on time.
- Demonstrates dependability through consistent and punctual attendance to scheduled work hours and submits timely and accurate timesheets.
- Maintains a courteous, helpful and professional attitude on the job.
- Displays a willingness and ability to be responsive to all customer groups, including staff, participants and their families.
- Complies with all agency training requirements.
- Maintains professional affiliations and any required certifications.
- Provides a safe environment for participants and self by displaying awareness of safety hazards and reports and/or reverses hazards.
- Participates in Quality Improvement program as required.
- Follows all OSHA safety guidelines and CEI Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains the confidentiality of all participant information according to HIPAA requirements.
- Performs other duties as required or requested in a positive and helpful manner.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR GERIATRIC AIDES
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Interest, enthusiasm and experience working with frail, cognitively impaired older adults.
- Experience in providing household services in efficient and consistent manner.
- Knowledge of the physical, mental and social needs of the elderly.
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to conscientiously follow directions with limited supervision.
- Ability to understand basic English instructions and to write simple statements in English.
- Strong interpersonal skills and service orientation.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Current CPR certification and First Aid training.
- A valid California driver’s license, current vehicle insurance, and access to a reliable vehicle preferred.
The above job description is intended to communicate the general function of the mentioned position and by no means shall be considered an exhaustive or complete outline of the specific tasks and functions that will be required. CEI reserves the right to change job descriptions, site assignments, and or work hours as required by the needs of the program. All employees are expected to perform their duties within their ability as required by the job and/or as requested by management.
Center for Elders’ Independence is a PACE (Program of All- Inclusive Care for the Elderly) organization that uses an interdisciplinary team approach to care planning and care implementation for the purpose of providing high quality, affordable, integrated health care services to the elderly, including an Adult Day Health Center, and promoting autonomy, quality of life and the ability of individuals to live in their communities. Unlike other healthcare plans, CEI is not a "fee-for-service" plan. It is a “capitation” healthcare plan. CEI is paid a set amount for each person enrolled in our program, whether or not that individual seeks care. We are a growing company that offers stability and continues to thrive.