The Accounting Specialist handles various aspects of the day-to-day account management of fiscal operations under the direction of the CFO and Controller while maintaining the core values of Carondelet. The Accounting Specialist models humble leadership, embraces possibility and innovation, delivers great product, and inspires joy and gratitude in students and colleagues.
- The Accounting Specialist adheres to all accounting policies and internal controls as stated in the Accounting Policies & Procedures Manual while performing the duties of Payroll, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Student Billing & Collections and cash receipts/banking.
- Provides general support to the department as well as to other departments, faculty and staff.
- Prepares and processes payroll via payroll provider for faculty, staff, substitutes and coaches.
- Maintains payroll records as needed for faculty, staff, substitutes and coaches.
- Manages payroll deductions via payroll provider including medical (including FSA, HRA), retirement plan, and other legally mandated payroll deductions (such as garnishments).
- Confirms accuracy of employee time off records (sick & vacation) for posting on Payroll stubs.
- Coordinates with HR department to ensure payroll changes (salary, benefits, etc.) are made immediately and accurately.
Accounts Receivable / Accounts Payable
- Processes accounts payable and pays bills upon authorization of the President, Principal and CFO
- Works closely with development department and other departments to ensure proper classification of revenue and expenses
- Ensures Payment Request Forms have adequate support (i.e. reimbursement requests must have original receipts)
- Maintains adequate records/support for auditors
- Prepare bank deposit forms and deposit cash receipts to bank and posts deposits to the General Ledger
- Processes cash, checks and credit card charges from all departments
- Responsible for maintaining adequate vendor records, this includes mailing and collecting W-9s to obtain TINs and annually prepares 1099’s
- Processes all AP/AR for Parent’s Association events
- Coordinates special events cashiering at Visions of Christmas, Golf fundraisers, Crab Feed, and other events as needed
- Ensures all tuition collection processes are in place and followed, including serving as liaison with any Tuition Collection provider, such as SmartTuition, for all tuition related student account issues
- Post and deposit any internally collected payments and/or refunds
- Pro-actively and effectively follow up on all delinquencies (e-mail, phone calls and/or letters each month) and communicate with families
- Weekly reporting on collections and delinquencies
- Reconciliation of financial aid and scholarships with admissions department
- Applies Tuition Aid and Scholarships to student accounts
- Coordinates other non-tuition payment collection
- Maintain confidentiality to build and maintain trust among employees, students, parent, and vendors
- Assists CFO and Controller with internal audit of accounts
- Enters adjusting journal entries on approval of Controller/CFO
- Quarterly and monthly prepayments for filing to State Board of Equalization (Sales Tax)
- Prepares Parents’ Association monthly treasurer’s report
- Other duties as assigned by the CFO and Controller
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or related is preferred; Relevant experience in Accounting considered in lieu of degree
- Experience working in school environment is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to exhibit professionalism and empathy when working with parents, staff and faculty
- A strong sense of accuracy, attention to detail, and confidentiality
- Familiarity with Blackbaud (Financial Edge accounting package) (preferred)
- Familiarity with SmartTuition billing system (preferred)
- Familiarity with Insperity payroll processing (preferred)
- Knowledge of unique financial accounting and reporting requirements of nonprofit education institutions (preferred)
- Fluency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Google apps (Gmail, sheets, docs, drive)
- The ability to work as a team player
- Possess a willingness to learn and improve process and systems to enhance efficiency of the department